pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Follow question

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Follow question
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:13:04 -0500

On 2009-08-10 21:31, Duncan wrote:
Doug Saylor posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:03:17 -0500 as excerpted:

Thanks again for everyone's help. Question: why didn't un-installing Pan
then re-installing solve my problem? Thanks.

IIRC (after checking your OP), you're new to Linux from Windows, correct?

Linux works a bit differently than MS Windows in this regard. Linux separates user data and general system configuration and applications much more effectively than MS does (or used to, anyway, I've not used MS since 9x). The idea is that one should not affect the other, both because Linux, as with all *ix, was designed from the beginning as a multi-user system, with each user having their own separate settings, and so that each individual user and the system in general can be managed separately.

So when you uninstalled pan, you uninstalled the executable and other system data related to pan, but it didn't touch your user data, including your pan user data. Since that's where the problem was, uninstalling and reinstalling pan did nothing to solve it.

The flip-side of this is the PC mentality, which presumes that only one person will really use a computer, and so apps are designed in a very "selfish" manner, under the assumption that the logged-in user owns the hardware. (Windows has actually gotten slightly better in this regard, pushed, I think, by the virus/worm threat and Linux.)

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer