pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Error saving large JPEG image
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:37:30 -0700

On 08/13/2009 06:50 AM, Rhialto wrote:
On Wed 12 Aug 2009 at 20:11:47 -0700, walt wrote:
Now, that last line begins with 'E', so uudeview figures that this line
of code should contain (69-32)*4/3 characters, which is 49.3.  It then
reads the next 49 chars from that line and proceeds to uudecode them,
even though it produces garbage.

An easy check is to see if the line has the correct number of characters
on it.

In fact it may have one more: some versions of uuencode add an extra
checksum character at the end of the line. But then it should match, of
course.

And fractional numbers of characters are not possible :)

That just may be the right test to make, too.  After reading through
the uudeview code (contained in uuscan.c) I see that this is an old
and all-too familiar problem with uuencoding apps.

The problem is always that last line at the end of the encoded data,
which some clients get wrong in various ways, and the number of ways
to get it wrong is very large :(

But I don't see any test for a fractional number of characters, and
that may be an excellent test for finding garbage lines.

Thanks for the idea.