pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Wishlist for pan

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Wishlist for pan
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:05:58 -0700

On 08/24/2009 05:55 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
Hi,

Instead of defaulting article-cache to ~/.pan2, please consider putting
it under ~/.cache/pan2.

That is the "official" XDG home for cache files, and simplifies backup
scripts, which then only have to exclude ~/.cache.

Interesting.  I've never heard of XDG before, but now I see that it's part
of the freedesktop.org agenda, which seems to be gaining momentum by the
day.  (A good thing, AFAICT.)

Seems a bit ironic that dbus still maintains its own ~/.dbus subdirectory
even though dbus is another of freedesktop's initiatives.  I wonder why
dbus isn't putting its own files in the anointed place.  Any idea?

Anyone here think that freedesktop.org is on the wrong track and, if so,
exactly why?