pan-users

[Pan-users] 0.134 and Beyond

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:27:12 -0500

I've gotten my git account refreshed at gnome.org and have started
committing changes for 0.134. :)

For starters what I'd like to do is get caught up with the other
libraries and tools that have changed since 0.133 came out.
The GCC 4.4 compile fixes that Daniel reported and that K Haley
has fixed in his github repo are an obvious example of that.

Even more important, IMO, is getting 0.134 ready for GNOME 3.
Pan 0.133 uses a /lot/ of deprecated glib, gdk, and gtk API calls.
All those API calls are going away in GNOME 3.
If Pan isn't ready, it will go away too.

Other "upkeep" issues in the same vein would be to support newer
versions of GMime and to use glib 2.14's regular expression API
instead of requiring PCRE.

===

Looking past 0.134, I'm not sure how much time I'll have for Pan.
Probably not much.  Unlike the my last pre-0.90 hiatus, I don't
have a pile of new Pan code waiting in the wings... that hobby
time has gone to Transmission.

I'm very happy that K Haley's repo exists, but we also need to
make official releases once in awhile, since that's what most
Pan users see.  That requires someone with write access
to git.gnome.org and rebelbase.com.

One model would be for me to do this, rolling things "upstream"
from github to git.gnome.org and making old-fashioned tarballs
once in awhile.

Another model, which would IMO be better, would be a committee
of people existed to do these things, and if I were just one
of many people involved.  I still have a special love for Pan,
but at this point I've got more love for it than free time.

Lastly, I'm not sure there's any point in keeping these
awkward pre-1.0 numbers going any longer.  I doubt anyone
except Duncan and me -- or maybe just Duncan, come to think
of it -- remember the remaining goals for 1.0.  If we were
to name the next release 1.0, that would at least signal to
the rest of the world that Pan still has some life left in it. :)

cheers,
Charles