pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.134 and Beyond

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:25:26 -0700

On 09/28/2009 03:08 PM, Charles Kerr wrote:
On 09/28/2009 04:36 PM, walt wrote:
On 09/28/2009 01:27 PM, Charles Kerr wrote:
I've gotten my git account refreshed at gnome.org and have started
committing changes for 0.134. :)

Wow, cheers, and welcome back! I do believe even Duncan was beginning
to despair of seeing you return :o)

Thanks!

What I'd like to see is more people working on Pan so
things /don't/ stop when I'm not around. ;)

I don't know how to make that happen, but talking about it in
pan-users is a start. It's hard to find volunteers to do the
less-sexy work of triaging bugs, writing and testing patches.
Most people write a patch or two to scratch a personal itch.

Yes, even I've done that, and I'm not a coder.  After years of
reading through the pan code I can almost understand it now, but
it's the massive infrastructure of gtk, glib, gmime, and the rest
of it that really keeps me from making a serious start.  And now,
here comes another new infrastructure to learn in gnome 3.

I suspect that most of the people who really understand that
infrastructure are already busy with gnome itself.  You'd know
that better than I would -- I'm just guessing.

Another poster made a similar observation about recruiting the
OS X crowd to help out -- to which I would add the talented folk
in the kde camp.  But how to do that is the question.  That's
where M$ has the real advantage -- every programmer is working
with the same infrastructure, for better or worse.  Same goes
for java (with no thanks at all to M$).

Anyone have any ideas along this line?