pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:13:43 -0500

On 09/28/2009 08:41 PM, walt wrote:
On 09/28/2009 05:39 PM, Charles Kerr wrote:
On 09/28/2009 06:45 PM, walt wrote:

So -- why not implement the pan GUI in java and let each platform
deal with the optimized c++ part in its own way (already done)?

All other factors aside, I think any Big Undertaking in Pan is
a risky move at this point... and rewriting the GUI in Java is
a Big Undertaking.

Okay, I formally withdraw my proposal, and I thank you for taking
the time to respond to it.

Just from sheer nosiness, though, I'd be grateful if you'd explain
what you mean by "risky". Given the rate of mergers and acquisitions
between closed-source companies and open-source projects, I'm getting
quite lost in the dust as to what motivates whom/who(?).

Risky in the sense that it might not get completed,
which would leave Pan worse off than it is now.

Baby steps like fixing the gcc 4 breakage and preparing for GNOME 3
are much "safer" in terms of odd of being completed. :)

Charles