pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.134 and Beyond

From: Jeff Berman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:33:44 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----

Sure, I could probably throw something together for those "purists" out there
who, like me, don't want to just install Mac Ports and would prefer to
painstakingly locate every piece of source code for all the dependencies
involved in Glib and GTK and compile them manually.  :-)

Hey, didn't someone put together a documentation wiki of sorts for Pan?  Seems
that would be the place to put it.  And if Pan's "About" window linked to the
wiki, that would be nice.

I haven't looked at the source code myself, but to answer the question of how
to get more coders involved, I wonder if it would help to have some
documentation explaining what all the classes do (maybe it already exists).
And a place besides a mailing list where new features could be proposed, and
then perhaps Charles could add comments detailing how he'd go about adding that
feature, so developers new to Pan would have something to go on.  And then of
course the idea that Pan needs developers to help out would need to be
promoted.  Old Pan used to start up with some information displayed in one of
its panes, maybe New Pan could do that as a way of advertising this.

I really like the recent idea of separating the newsreader from the GUI, but I
don't know how easily it could be done or how that would affect performance.

Ok, enough rambling.

Jeff