pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: articles remain unread

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: articles remain unread
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 02:08:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 21:39:11 +0000, petdog wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 18:55:56 +0000, petdog wrote:
>> Looking at the git log, the "64bit article id" commit seemed the most
>> likely to be at fault, and in fact, if I compile pan from 10 commits
>> back, it behaves correctly.
>
> Skimming the diff, I noticed that it changed the logic in
> Numbers::to_string (pan/usenet-utils/numbers.cc). And indeed,
> pan/usenet- utils/numbers-test fails at the first test.
>
> Reverting to the old code puts things back on track.

Yes, I have noticed that, but I confess I stopped paying much attention to
pan's impression of read/unread long ago because I think there has always
been some kind of bug in that code.

However.  I just did a quick test on this (gmane) newsgroup by deleting
the pan.user entry in the .xov file and deleting the article numbers from
the end of the pan.users line in the gmane newsrc file (i.e. marking the
whole group as not subscribed and unread).

I just used pan to read your first post and then closed and restarted pan,
and the read article was correctly marked as read all all the others as
unread.  Hardly a rigorous test, but I'm going to do the same test on a
few other groups where I've notice the problem you describe.