pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Number of headers retained and displayed

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Number of headers retained and displayed
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:51:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:52:21 -0500, vr wrote:

> Sorry if this is way too simplistic and covered before but I'm wondering
> if there's a limit to the number of headers that can be downloaded or
> saved or retained then displayed in the Pan UI? I'm basically curious
> what the ceiling is with the larger groups that have over a years worth
> of retention.

Until very recently the limit was that pan (like most other news clients)
used a 32-bit variable to store the article number.  That limit was recently
fixed by K. Haley (our volunteer c++/pan developer) but I can't recall if
that fix has been applied to Charles' official pan repository. (And thus to
all the operating system distributions out there.)  I suspect not, so if
you're using pan as it's distributed by third parties, you may not have
the 64-bit fix I'm referring to.