pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Window size and position is not remembered

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Window size and position is not remembered
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:31:03 +0000 (UTC)

Camaleón posted on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:04:55 +0200 as excerpted:

> I'm facing the following problem:

> (the bug includes an image describing the issue)
>
> At first, I thought this could be caused by the Pan version that is
> included in Debian Lenny (0.132), but I've recently installed Debian
> Squeeze (which includes Pan 0.133) and it happens the same.
>
> Any hints on how to solve/bypass this? It's quite annoying having to
> resize and relocate the window every time :-)

[For the record and for those who don't wish to bother checking the link,
the complaint isn't with pan's main window, but with the posting window.]

FWIW, while pan's in the gnome repo and uses their bugzilla, and back with
gnome 1, was a gnome app, since the port to gtk2 back with IIRC 0.12, it
has been a gtk2 app, not requiring the full gnome install.  So it's not
really a gnome app, but a gtk app.  This is important for those of us who
prefer kde (or other DE than gnome) in general, and wouldn't have pan
installed if it were to drag in all those extra gnome dependencies. (The
bug implies it's a gnome app, comparing it to "other gnome apps".)

Meanwhile, I don't know what window manager you're using, but at least
kde's default kwin, has a method by which one can specify specific apps or
windows and the non-default behavior one might wish them to have.  Years
ago, when pan was under active development (it isn't so much any more), I
requested and got Charles to properly fill out the window role fields for
pan windows, so I could distinguish between the pan main window and the
others (posting window, etc) and force the main window to a specific
behavior (maximized horizontally, almost but not quite maximized
vertically, no titlebar or border, and located just down the display a
bit, so other window titlebars would peak out the top and I could switch
to them by just clicking the titlebars, and to the pan main window again
by just clicking it, since it's horizontally maximized and thus sticking
out the side), without forcing all the other pan windows to the same size,
location and behavior.

So assuming your window manager has the ability to set behavior for
specific apps and windows using the window class, role and title
characteristics, use that.  Pan has supported it for years, due to Charles
filling my request. =:^)

Beyond that, window placement and sizing is a cooperative effort between
the window manager and the window itself.  The window can (and often does)
request a specific size and location (and other behavior, such as
borderless, always-on-top, etc), but that's simply a recommendation to the
window manager, which can ignore it and place it wherever it wants, at
whatever size, and the window must cope with that, adjusting its internal
layout accordingly, or making it hard on the user, when it fails to do so.

As for the posting window, I've noticed that its requested width, at
least, appears to be determined by the size of the font -- it tries to be
wide enough to display a full 80-char normal width line, with comfortable
margins on either side.  Increase the size of the font, and the posting
window should increase its default width accordingly.  Decrease the font,
and at least down to the size of the toolbar, pan accordingly decreases
its requested posting window width.  That seems about ideal, to me.

Vertically... I too find the posting window size a bit short.
Fortunately, recent kwin versions have an option that when active, allows
one to drag the window to either side, and it'll tile to maximized
vertically, half-width horizontally (slightly larger than the default
width, here, so it's fine, folks with smaller displays may find the drag-
to-top-to-maximize option more useful, tho I don't like that one and have
it disabled).  Before that, I had a kwin setting for the posting window
size, as well, but I've been able to delete it since the half-width full-
height drag-to-side tiling feature of kwin 4.4.

Meanwhile, it seems pan saves the geometry of most of its windows, and of
the internal panes of the main window, in its preferences.xml file.
Unfortunately, the posting window size and possibly location, seems to
have been overlooked.  I'd call that a bug, but as mentioned above, pan's
not really in active development any more.

However, there's a guy here in the pan community, K Haley, that has been
running his own git repository, collecting the various useful community
patches out there, and coding up some of his own.  There's a number of
other useful patches in his version that aren't yet in an official
released version (some are in the official repository, unreleased, some
not), as well.  If you're upto it, install git if necessary, pull from his
repo, and compile pan for yourself. =:^)  That's what many regulars in
this group are doing.  There's no patch to save and use posting window
size yet, and I'm not a coder so no guarantees, but it does sound like it
should be a reasonably trivial patch, especially since the code is already
there and used by other windows, and such a patch does seem to pass the
usefulness test, so I'd not be surprised at all to see that feature in
khaley's git repo quite soon, now that the request has been made. =:^)

"'Sup" to you! Here's the git:// URL.  =:^)

git://github.com/lostcoder/pan2.git