pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: changing your underscores; some old problems coming back

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: changing your underscores; some old problems coming back (Re: updated info)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 23:35:08 +0200

Duncan, Thu, 5 Aug 2010 02:42:44 +0000 (UTC):

> SciFi posted on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:59:52 +0000 as excerpted:

(...)

> > I can file bugreports, still, at gnome.org, if we need to.
> > Are we going to continue doing that
> > whatever the outcome of the possible
> > coming "maintainership change"?

Yes, I regard it quite important for community around a software project to
stay active, to continue with reporting bugs, etc. Who would want to
maintain a project without active community, without people that care and
contribute, after all.

> Good question.
>
> Actually, if my empathy with khaley's in any sort of tune ATM,
> that's likely one of the reason's "they're" (recalling the
> recent subthread) hesitant to take full maintainership.

Well, nobody should be pressed into maintaining anything. Full stop. If
khaley decides not to take the maintenance work over, then it's apparent
the community must respect it. But then the community seems to be in a very
unfortunate situation (again).

In any case, I believe khaley will get a GNOME developer account for
himself (if he applies) so he can work in the official repository directly,
and not in a personal github repository, even without being the new
maintainer. Because currently, the project seems to be completely dead when
one looks at the visible & official infrastructure. That can't attract more
contributors, really. Not now, not in the future.

(...)

> It's a serious responsibility to take on, and while I'd
> wish it otherwise, I can't fault khaley in the slightest
> for not being particularly interested.  Altho at a way
> lower level, there are certainly areas where I have similar
> hesitancies, projects (like, umm... pan-attach) where I've
> not behaved as a "proper" maintainer, and other personal
> projects I use myself but have never made public, tho I'm
> sure others could use them, in large part because I do NOT
> want to take on that responsibility.

Sure, it's fully understandable. I guess community should be assertive &
cautious at the same time when dealing with the future maintainers. ;-)

Best,
Petr Kovar