pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:03:30 +0100

Petr Kovar, Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:42:15 +0100:

> Hi!
>
> Valeryan_24, Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:52:37 +0100:
>
> (...)
>
> > As I luckily can, regularly I do small donations to many projects, but
> > I could also give more to one project / developer to code a soft /
> > feature I need (but this would not be thousands $ of course...). So
> > question is: regarding today's Pan situation, available patches / code,
> > do you have an idea how much time it could take to update a new version
> > and create rpm / deb packages available in last 32 & 64 main
> > distributions, and correct future critical bugs ? Just to know if this
> > is something realistic or utopic, if it could interest a developer with
> > free time, a student, what it would cost etc...
> >
> > I just speak here on the programming task, your mail also refers to the
> > project leading, and that's also another responsibility.
>
> So to sum it up, what would it take to roll out a new release and
> distribute it to users via standard channels...
>
> First off, someone who eventually takes the responsibility to do the
> release needs to have a GNOME developer account with write access to
> ftp.gnome.org, and also Pan website (quite easily obtainable given
> Charles' consent, that is).
>
> Second, one needs to merge K Haley's appropriate branch (I believe this is
> called 'testing' in the github.com repository, please correct me if I'm
> wrong) with the master branch in the Pan official repository at
> git.gnome.org.
>
> Third, do the actual release, tag it in the repository, make tarball,
> install it to ftp.gnome.org.

Oops, now I see that Charles actually uploaded new releases to:

http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/

I was mistaken since there are some really historical release sources (up
to 0.11.2) on ftp.gnome.org as well:

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pan/

So that's one step less when making the release.

Best,
Petr Kovar