pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Question about "Get Headers"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Question about "Get Headers"
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:11:02 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:36:23 -0500 as excerpted:

>  Before I waste
> hours of time and bandwidth, though, I wanted to ask if "Get the last N
> days headers: 180" *AFTER* doing a "Get the last N days headers: 90" is
> intelligent enough to only grab the headers from days 91-180?

AFAIK, it is, tho not due to any particular fancy cleverness in pan, but
rather, due simply to the way nntp works (cleverness in the protocol).

What it does is get the post sequence numbers that are available from the
server.  Since it tracks the ones it has already has, it skips them as it
makes its requests.

Just don't delete them, and ensure your expiration settings are set so pan
won't try to delete them.  I'm not sure about get N or N days headers, but
the get all headers function, at least, forgets what it has already seen
if the header has been deleted, so it can be used to recover, if you
accidentally delete a header you decide you actually want. (I have to do
this occasionally, unfortunately.)