pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Why does this sig appear twice?

From: Graham P Davis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Why does this sig appear twice?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 07:31:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:08:32 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 04/09/2011 09:55 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>> Just for starters, here's the same file but posting via knode. More to
>> follow.  ;-)
>>
>> --
> Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man
>  > To consider the Earth the only populated world in infinite space
>> is as
>> absurd as to assert that in an entire field sown with millet only one
>> grain
>> will grow. - Metrodoros, 300BC
>
> Notice the line wrap.  (This is how I see it on Thunderbird, because I
> have line wrap set, properly, at 72 characters.)  Several years ago,
> when I first started with Pan I found a sigmonster program, built a list
> of quotes (based on my old, Windows-based Usenet program) and started
> using it.  I too had a problem with doubled sigs, but not always.  We
> finally found that if Pan has to wrap your sig to make it fit, it
> doubles it.  Once we'd found that, I edited the file to make sure all of
> the quotes were "72 character compliant" and never worried about it
> again.  Try doing the same and see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks, it did fix the problem. I thought 76 was the limit, I suppose
because that's the default for Knode. I've had a look at TB3 and that
seems to use 71 as a limit.

I suppose this all dates back to punched cards and columns 73-80 being
used for sequence-numbering. Looking at a Fortran card, that leaves
column 72 available but for JCL, any non-blank character in that column
means continuation follows. Looks like TB was based on a JCL card.  ;-)