pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Setting group preferences for multiple groups

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Setting group preferences for multiple groups
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:29:57 +0000 (UTC)

Robert Kochem posted on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:10:58 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to change the group preference (in detail the used profile)
> for multiple newsgroups. But the changes do only affect one newsgroup.
> I assume this is a bug - can someone confirm this?

I'd not call it a bug so much as a first iteration of the implementation
that was never changed...  IOW, AFAIK (I've been a primary pan list
regular for years but don't claim to be a dev) that's the way the
implementation worked as originally designed, but I'm not sure it was
intended to stay that way "forever".

As you will know if you've followed the list for awhile, tho, pan has
recently found a new set of developers who are looking at things with
fresh eyes, after the long time primary dev lost interest in newsgroups
and thus in pan, a few years ago now.

So now that you've posted about it and brought it up, that might
change... especially if you're actively interested in helping to develop
and test a patch, as it seems you are based on this post. =:^)

> Combined with the fact that Pan2 does not select the correct profile by
> itself you have to configure each newsgroup to use the correct profile
> (that relates to the newsserver). IMHO Pan2 should implement a more
> intelligent way and always preselect the profile that belongs to the
> newserver that provides a newsgroup.
>
> I already tried to find out in Pans source code which parts has to be
> changed - however Pan's source code contains very few comments and my
> GTK skills are at a beginner level. Therefore I did not got far...

One thing that helps is to configure the server you'll be posting from
for most groups as your first server, since pan defaults to the first in
the list for groups that haven't been individually configured.  Even
after you've configured multiple servers, it should be possible to edit
servers.xml (with pan shut down, of course) to change the order.  You may
wish to change the names of the newsrc files at the same time, to reflect
a reasonable server name instead of the arbitrary sequential numbers pan
uses by default, since their names are stored in the same file.

For mass editing, since pan stores all its settings in human-editable
plain text or xml files, including group-preferences.xml for the group
prefs, you should be able to load that file in your favorite text editor
and use its search and replace functionality to make the changes you
wish.  If you're changing all of them (or almost all, so then you just
have to change back a relative few manually), a sed command from the
command-line or a script could do it.

IOW, it shouldn't be /too/ difficult to change either the default or
multiple groups at once, you just have to think non-pan-GUI method to do
it. =:^/

Meanwhile, while I can't help you in terms of explaining the source, if
either hmueller or khaley doesn't pick up your suggestion immediately,
once you get a bit more familiar with things and can suggest a multi-
group-prefs patch, it's quite likely to be picked up pretty fast.

You didn't happen to mention what sources you're hacking on, tho.  If
you're using the latest tarball or even the gnome git repo, you're using
recent but not absolutely leading edge current.  khaley's github repo
(lostcoder on github) is "current upstream", with a number of branches to
choose depending on how current you want to be, and hmueller's github repo
(imhotep82 on github) is where the "alpha-level" development features
(like the still very new and likely buggy but it actually finally
exists!! binary posting feature) seem to be congregating at the moment.