pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Proper behavior of "backup" servers? [DIAGNOSED]

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Proper behavior of "backup" servers? [DIAGNOSED]
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:51:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:29:41 +0000, walt wrote:

> I discovered that setting gmane.org to "backup server" prevents pan from
> ever asking gmane for articles that I click on in the header pane.

The reason pan was refusing to fetch articles from gmane.org is that I had
another server set as "primary" AND set to zero connections.

I think pan was waiting for that primary server to ask for the article
first -- but of course pan couldn't ask the primary server because its
number of connections was set to zero.  Setting that primary server to
"fallback" allowed pan to query all the other fallback servers, including
gmane.

This isn't exactly a bug, but the behavior is unexpected.  Maybe pan
should refuse to set a primary server to zero connections?  Or at least
give us a warning?