pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] systray icon, woohoo! =:^)

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] systray icon, woohoo! =:^)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:55:03 +0000 (UTC)

Steven D'Aprano posted on Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:53:55 +1100 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>> I've wondered for quite some years why pan didn't have a systray icon.
>
> Because it doesn't need one and it is an abuse of the user interface for
> an application like Pan to waste valuable real estate in the
> notification area.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511448.aspx#rightui
> http://design.canonical.com/2010/04/notification-area/
>

> By the way, "systray" or "system tray" has never been the official name
> for the Windows component:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2003/09/10/54831.aspx

What do MS rules have to do with a native Linux app?  Just because they
had a particular purpose in mind for the area doesn't mean Linux desktops
or users need to care about their similar area. And Ubuntu with Unity,
same question, really.

Many people consider it useful to have a systray icon for toggling the UI
of often always-running apps such as those for email, feed-reading, news,
and IRC/IM, plus long-running download managers, especially when it also
acts as an incoming message and download completion status indicator.

But, "optional" is a useful word. =:^)  I've yet to see a desktop that I
liked the defaults of and as I've mentioned before, the usual dark text
on a light background, particularly in the most common washed-out gray
stylings so often used as defaults, actually make me mildly nauseous, so
"optional" and "customizable" are both VERY useful words from my
perspective! =:^)  I don't even much care what the defaults are since I
expect to have to change a good portion of them anyway, tho obviously I'd
prefer something that didn't make me sick to my stomach, but I'm used to
it for color defaults.