pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] looking for help in creating the git version

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] looking for help in creating the git version
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:09:03 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Müller posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:03:08 +0000 as excerpted:

> A few words:
> SciFi is right. The pan source tree is built with autotools,
> hence you need to do :
> sh autogen.sh

FWIW, to have that work here (on gentoo), I had to install a package
called gnome-common.  Gnome folks would have already had it installed,
but I run kde, and I wasn't building anything else gtk from live-git (it
was all versioned source tarballs), so nothing else required that
package, only pan, to build it from the raw git pull.

> The SSL code is still a little experimental. It works for me with every
> server I've tried, but feel free to be my guest and post any errors you
> encounter.

FWIW, it's working for me here too, on Gentoo, but scifi has had some
problems with it, even when connecting to the same servers I'm using just
fine.  So there's definitely some bugs to work out, since it can't be
simply blamed on the server if it's working for me on the same server.

@ scifi:  This just occurred to me, but if the gmane server via pan ssl
is working fine for me and it's not for you, same server and same pan
sources, so it's likely something else, perhaps openssl version, or some
other helper library, that accounts for the difference between systems.
Since you're on "the fruit" (@ Bob, that refers to Apple, scifi runs OSX
but has a longer term personal project to switch off "the fruity OS" to
Linux or something), it's quite possible it's some system library, or
even the gcc you're building with, that accounts for the difference and
your problem.

> If you build with gtk3, omit gtkspell as it creates aborts with gtk3.
> Gtk3 support is theoretically there, but I noticed a few errors
> regarding the window widths etc.

Good to know.  I've not upgraded anything to gtk3 yet and probably won't
for awhile, avoiding it until all the gtk apps I run support it if
possible, since I'm running kde as the desktop and thus won't have gtk3
on the system at all until I rebuild the first app to use it.  If I can
avoid that until I can rebuild them all with it, flag-day switching from
gtk2 to gtk3 so I can eliminate gtk2 from the system at the same time,
that'll keep me from having to run and build updates for both at the same
time.

> Better use gtk2 (standard).

++

(Probably for another few months, anyway.  Then most gtk apps will
probably be shifting focus to gtk3 in any case.  The big deal will be
when firefox has proper gtk3 support and shifts to it by default.  At
that point, everything else will likely fall in line with gtk3 pretty
fast, or risk being dropped from at least some distributions.  But last I
checked the firefox gtk3 conversion bug, firefox on gtk3 wasn't even
close, so I don't expect that until late spring at the earliest, even for
leading edge distros and users.)

> If you're on a debian/ubuntu system, make a sudo apt-get build-dep pan
> first. That will bring in all the dependencies pan needs. Else, goes to
> pan's homepage and look for yourself.

Good hint! =:^)  rpm-based distros have a similar dependencies-only
command involving the srpm, tho I left rpm-based behind for Gentoo in
2004, so haven't a clue what it might be these days.  On gentoo using
emerge, meanwhile, it'd be the --onlydeps (-o) option (since gentoo
builds from source by default, build-deps are included by default).

The point being, no matter the distro, figuring out what the package-
manager command is that installs both runtime and buildtime deps, and
using it, will very likely save you quite some trouble sluicing out the
deps yourself.

But live-build (as opposed to versioned-tarball-build) deps you'll
probably have to manage manually in any case, and that's exactly what
gnome-common was for me, here.  Note that on binary distros, there may be
a gnome-common-dev package as well, that would need to be installed to.
Finally, note that it's presumably gnome-common-2 (if you're building
against gtk2 not gtk3 at least) that you'll need installed.  I'd guess
there might be a gnome-common-3 as well, but don't really know, except
that with both gtk/gnome 2 and 3, it's something to watch out for in case
there's both, so you don't get the wrong one.