pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan crashes on every reply sent.

From: Frederic Bezies
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan crashes on every reply sent.
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:35:04 +0100

On 10/12/2011 13:26, Duncan wrote:
Frederic Bezies posted on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:23:54 +0100 as excerpted:

Hello.

Very annoying bug using last git commit available.

When I try to post a reply, pan crashes.

Here is the message I get when I launch it from terminal :

address@hidden src]$ terminate called after throwing an instance of
'std::length_error'
    what():  basic_string::resize

[1]+  Abandon                 pan

Any idea ?

Well, if you'd have used pan to post this (using gmane.org's list2news
service, as I do, or whatever), the pan user-agent header might have
given us the relevant info on git branch and commit number, etc, but you
didn't, and you didn't post that info, so I get to ask... but at least
you DID post that it's git, not the release version.

Sorry for not posting infos.

I'm using latest code from master, revision : (GIT 37631e6 master; x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)

My linux distro : archlinux, 64 bits, gnome-shell 3.2.x

My gcc :

address@hidden objdir-blue]$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.6.2 20111125 (prerelease)

[...]

And of course, the git commit would be useful as well.

I'm using pan updated to this commit :

http://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/commit/?id=37631e661d54643cabe4f3376b9cc18778a16f78

Reverting it helped me getting back my delete key to work.

FWIW as I said, I run hmueller's branch, now official gnome upstream
testing branch, but I've not updated in a few days.  The git-commit is as
I said in the user-agent header.  It sort of includes branch as well, but
at least as it shows up in my headers, that's the local bare-branch that
portage pulls using my customized pan ebuild, so while the occurrance of
portage in the string is a strong indication that I use gentoo, and the
path leaks some information about my local directory layout, it doesn't
say anything about the upstream branch I'm pulling from as that feature
is actually intended to do.

I think I found guilty commit. Here is what I wrote directly to hmueller :

"It is this one, well, after reverting it, no more crashes.

http://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/commit/?id=bc7803590ebfdcbbbbdfa2f7dbe24253838193c8

If it is applied, every single time I want to sent a reply or a message, pan crashes with this error :

address@hidden src]$ terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
  what():  basic_string::resize"

So a 6 days old "regression" :(

But with the caveat that I run that testing branch and haven't pulled in
a few days so am almost certainly behind, I've not seen any such
behavior, here.  That might help narrow down the commit range in which
the problem occurs if you use gnome/testing as well, or it might not, as
it could just as easily be a difference in library version, or if you're
on 32-bit, maybe it only happens there, since I'm running amd64/x86_64.

No, 64 bits here.

Reverting commit bc7803590ebfdcbbbbdfa2f7dbe24253838193c8 fix the problem.

--
Frederic Bezies - address@hidden
Blog : http://frederic.bezies.free.fr/blog/