pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan crashes on every reply sent.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan crashes on every reply sent.
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:46:32 +0000 (UTC)

Frederic Bezies posted on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:35:04 +0100 as excerpted:

> On 10/12/2011 13:26, Duncan wrote:
>> Frederic Bezies posted on Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:23:54 +0100 as excerpted:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Very annoying bug using last git commit available.
>>>
>>> When I try to post a reply, pan crashes.
>>>
>>> Here is the message I get when I launch it from terminal :
>>>
>>> address@hidden src]$ terminate called after throwing an instance of
>>> 'std::length_error'
>>>     what():  basic_string::resize
>>>
>>> [1]+  Abandon                 pan

> I'm using latest code from master, revision : (GIT 37631e6 master;
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
>
> My linux distro : archlinux, 64 bits, gnome-shell 3.2.x

archlinux, cool! =:^)  A lot of gentoo users go there if they want
something a bit easier, but still not ye-olde-standard-bindist.  gentoo
fits me about perfectly so I'm not personally likely to change in the
short or medium term myself, but who knows what'll happen longer term.
Meanwhile, the arch wiki seems to be where people go for tough issues
these days... it used to be gentoo's docs, which unfortunately aren't as
current as they were years ago (tho one of the docs devs from back in the
day is back with gentoo now, and there've been quite some improvements in
just the quarter or so he's been back! =:^)

But for a (core) desktop I'm more a kde user, no gnome installed, but
more gtk apps especially recently, due to the kdepim akonadification/
breakification.  But I've been on pan for close to a decade, now. =:^)

> My gcc :
>
> address@hidden objdir-blue]$ gcc --version gcc (GCC) 4.6.2 20111125
> (prerelease)
>
> [...]
>>
>> And of course, the git commit would be useful as well.
>
> I'm using pan updated to this commit :
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/commit/?
id=37631e661d54643cabe4f3376b9cc18778a16f78

Doing git show on that commit here... results in a bad object error... so
I guess that's after my last update.  I'll update again in a couple days,
tho, maybe even today, and see at that point, altho as I said I'm
normally testing branch.  Tho I could of course switch to master branch
to test this, if it's still an issue by the time I get a properly
circular tuit. =:^)

(I had been close to three months behind on LWN's weeklies, so that's
been my project this week, catching up there.  I'm only a weeky and a
half behind now, so I'm getting close.  Between that and the kde 4.7.90
aka 4.8-beta2 update I did yesterday, I've been too busy to worry about
updating my live-builds, including pan, when they're working reasonably
well at the point they're at.)

> Reverting it helped me getting back my delete key to work.
>

>> FWIW as I said, I run hmueller's branch, now official gnome upstream
>> testing branch, but I've not updated in a few days.

> I think I found guilty commit. Here is what I wrote directly to hmueller
> :
>
> "It is this one, well, after reverting it, no more crashes.
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/commit/?
id=bc7803590ebfdcbbbbdfa2f7dbe24253838193c8

I don't see that one here either.  So yeah, I'm behind.

> If it is applied, every single time I want to sent a reply or a message,
> pan crashes with this error :
>
> address@hidden src]$ terminate called after throwing an instance of
> 'std::length_error'
>    what():  basic_string::resize"
>
> So a 6 days old "regression" :(

> No, 64 bits here.
>
> Reverting commit bc7803590ebfdcbbbbdfa2f7dbe24253838193c8 fix the
> problem.

FWIW, if you're running either of the gnome branches, if you're not
following the pan-dev list you might want to subscribe to it, too.  The
pan community hasn't been too strict about which posts go to which list
and discussion of git-branch developments happen on both lists, so
posting to either is fine, but there are people that prefer to post there
for git-build issues, so if you want to keep up you really do need to
follow both.  Not that there's enough traffic on either to make it a
major problem keeping up, but they are both used.