pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Alternative to bolding unread articles in header pane?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Alternative to bolding unread articles in header pane?
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:38:40 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Müller posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:43:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> Am Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:29:33 +0000 schrieb Mark Scott:
>
>> I'd really like to be able to use colour instead of bold emphasis to
>> highlight unread articles in Pan's header pane. I can't find any way of
>> doing this via the GUI, and a search of the list archives suggests that
>> bold emphasis is an unalterable default. If I'm mistaken, I'd be
>> grateful for a clue as to how I can alter this.

> The implementation is very easy, I could do that. See my testing branch
> if you want to see that in action. I already implemented color instead
> of underline for "articles unread in thread".

I'm surprised you (Mark) didn't come upon my recent complaint about it
when HM first implemented it, too. =:^\  I *much* prefer a "reverse"
color scheme, dark backgrounds with light text, and that's the way I have
pan setup.  But when Heinrich first replaced the underline on unread-
articles-in-thread with color, he hard-coded the text color only (or was
it only background?), to match a normal dark-on-light color scheme, and I
couldn't read it as text and background were almost the same color and
brightness!

But he's (HM's) right, it's fairly easy (once you know where to look at
least), and even tho I don't make any claims on being a C/C++ coder (tho
I'm reasonably proficient at bash scripting... and learned enough git to
handle kernel git bisects and read git what-changed logs, etc), once I'd
found the offending git commit and done a git show to read the actual
code change, combined with the code that was already there, it was enough
to allow even this non-coder to hack up a fix, exposing it in the color
prefs dialog so users could set their own choice if they didn't like the
default.  So I posted that patch.

Meanwhile, Heinrich had decided he didn't really like the way the hard-
coded version worked either and I think he reverted it, but when he saw
my patch to add that to the color prefs, he liked that even better, so
that's what's in the testing branch now, a combination of his original
patch to change that underline to color, and mine, to add the new colors
to the color tab on the prefs dialog.

As it is now, both the foreground (text) and background can be set, with
the label in the colors tab being "Read collapsed Thread:", but I don't
rightly remember whether my patch added both text and background prefs or
whether Heinrich added the other after I allowed for setting the one
color.  Either way, that's how it's setup now, in the official gnome pan2
git repo, testing branch, anyway. =:^)

Meanwhile, that's a simple enough change and well enough tested now, IMO
it's a candidate for master branch and the next release.  HM/PK, what do
you think?