pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] this seems to be fixed with XQuartz-2.7.2-beta4 (Re: Hel

From: SciFi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] this seems to be fixed with XQuartz-2.7.2-beta4 (Re: Help request please: Latest Xquartz is causing some visual artifacts in Pan.)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:40:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:17:02 +0000, Heinrich Müller wrote:

> SciFi posted on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:10:34 +0000:
> […]
>>
>> The glitch with Giganews, tho, is still bothering us, as I've asked HM
>> for some help privately.  Namely, I'd like to see the "hexdump -C" of
>> the actual network packet(s) when we see this in the Pan error log:
>>
>>> Thu Mar 15 17:26:53 2012 - Error reading from news.giganews.com:
>>> Received corrupted data
> Seems to be a GN fuckup. Can't do anything on our end....

I'd say because we see this problem even hours after telling Pan to go
off-line, that-right-there is a bad bug somewhere in Pan itself --
did Pan _honestly_ tell GN that we are disconnected? … and etc.

Also, I don't like to continually run a tcpdump or wireshark task
as Duncan suggests -- I would need to keep it going "for all hours"
and "for all ports" that GN might be connected with Pan.
There wouldn't be much synchronization between this task
and Pan's log of the occurrence, seems to me.
Not to mention it'd be tracing anything else we do on the computer
(TV recordings with HDHomeRun boxes, etc etc etc etc etc).
Any such thing to "kill" the support ticket would be in GN's interest.
I say again: if Pan can see that bad packet, then make Pan SPIT IT OUT,
LET US SEE IT, do not just mask it under a generic error note.

(on top of not knowing enough about C++/etc as I do plain-C,
 I also don't know the Gnome infrastructure APIs and such
 which seems to be the related code to this error-string
 that 'grep' shows popping-up in many modules IIUC
 [which module exactly is it that spits this particular line out???--
  I would need to hack tons of lines just to get that answer first-of-all
  then go from there])

Thanks for putting up with me again.