pan-users

[Pan-users] this seems to be fixed with XQuartz-2.7.2-beta4 (Re: Help re

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] this seems to be fixed with XQuartz-2.7.2-beta4 (Re: Help request please: Latest Xquartz is causing some visual artifacts in Pan.)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:10:34 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Y'know I've been trying to stay current with the XQuartz project.

They have been releasing betas for v2.7.2 -- and lately they included the
new cairo-1.12.0 inside 2.7.2-beta4, which suddenly seems to fix all the
anomalies with Pan I reported last year.  :)
<https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2011-05/msg00019.html>
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user/12321>

I did not need to recompile anything here -- beta3 still showed the same
whacky problems, yet beta4 with the new cairo suddenly showed those
problems gone!  Exact same Pan code & its other requisites etc. locally
(but I did notice Pan takes a while to first start right-after the
underlying XQuartz code has been updated, I believe this is due to the
dynamic linking related jazz in OSX itself).

Even the copy-&-paste highlighting artifacts are now looking as expected
(which I could not show in the above posting).

At least I presume it was the new cairo that fixed the problems.
Several other projects were updated, too, which can be seen here:
<http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.7.2>

Now I am a bit happyier, but still kinda afraid to move onwards.  ;)

The glitch with Giganews, tho, is still bothering us, as I've asked HM
for some help privately.  Namely, I'd like to see the "hexdump -C" of the
actual network packet(s) when we see this in the Pan error log:

> Thu Mar 15 17:26:53 2012 - Error reading from news.giganews.com: Received
> corrupted data

Such glitches have been with GN ever since I first joined them many many
years ago, and across several ISPs and news-reader apps etc., no matter
if SSL is involved (even thru stunnel) or with just a plain straight
connection.

This occurs very randomly, a few times or so, day and night.  It even
occurs when I have Pan set off-line.  No other Usenet server/company
seems to do this (e.g. AW and Gmane do not do this, AFAICS).

I'd like to get a handle on this glitch with GN and hopefully raise a
proper support ticket with them.  But we probably need to see the "guts"
of the related network packet(s).  It might be likely causing some other
glitches with other F/OSS NNTP projects (such as the 'yencee' script I've
mentioned in other earlier posts here or on pan-devel).

Thanks for reading.