pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Patches with source code comments?

From: Rui Maciel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Patches with source code comments?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:27:21 +0100

On 04/19/2012 05:34 AM, Duncan wrote:

I'm not a dev but with more devs looking at the pan code these days, I'd
guess that would be useful.  It just wasn't Charles' style I guess, and
based on the git-commit descriptions I've seen from HM, it's not his
style either. (Descriptions like "adfasd" definitely make a statement
about one's priorities! Not that I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth or
anything, just sain'.<g>)

That's understandable. The people who actually write the code tend not to need any explanation to tell them how thing work, how they fit in the grand scheme of things or why they were done the way they were. That's stuff they simply know by heart.

FWIW if you're the IRC type (not me, give me news or lists over irc any
day, so I definitely understand if you're not!), pan has an IRC channel
now.  This just strikes me as a question that might be posted there
instead of to a list, for those that are into such things.

I'm also not a IRC person. It may be better to have an IRC than not to have one, but it is not for me.

I'd guess the dev list would be an appropriate place to send them, but do
wait to see what the real devs say, before you get too ambitious.   In
particular, I'm concerned that the comments might get out of sync with
reality, if they're /too/ far down the priority list, and that helps no
one.

You are right.  I forgot there was a dev list.  Silly me.

Meanwhile, that brings up an observation not original to me but which
I've noted as well:  With git's ease of branching and local commit-with-
logging, it seems that certain former code comments, etc, tend to appear
these days as git commit descriptions, instead.  I've watched my own
troubleshooting behavior has change, I know, such that I'm far more
likely to run git whatchanged and search on some particular filename or
keyword, than to go grepping the code itself for comments, these days.
The combination of the diff and the commit description that goes with it
says a lot more than either one by itself, and for devs that use such
descriptions well, at least, it works better than code comments, since
the description is locked to the code change and thus can't go stale.

Of course, that DOES mean that for devs wanting to grok and change the
code, using the git version is nearly essential now.  It's no longer
sufficient to just grab the latest tarball and study the code in it.

Yes, that's true. Tools such as git do help in a lot more ways than simply managing versions of a project. Nowadays it's almost inconceivable to not adopt a version control system. With git in particular, the ability to stash small changes in a stack of sorts, which aren't tracked in the main repository, makes it even easier to switch to new tasks on the fly and to resume old ones as well. Really nice stuff.

Rui Maciel