pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Small portability issue

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Small portability issue
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:13:18 +0200

Hey,

On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:33:30 +0200 Heinrich Mueller wrote:

> Am 09.05.2012 13:48, schrieb Rhialto:
> > I'm updating the pkgsrc entry for Pan, and while doing that, it points
> > me to a portability issue in the configure script:
> >
> > =>  Checking for portability problems in extracted files
> > WARNING: [check-portability.awk] =>  Found $RANDOM:
> > WARNING: [check-portability.awk] configure:
> > INTLTOOL_XML_NOMERGE_RULE='%.xml:       %.xml.in       $(INTLTOOL_MERGE) ;
> > $(INTLTOOL_V_MERGE)_it_tmp_dir=tmp.intltool.$$RANDOM&&  mkdir
> > $$_it_tmp_dir&&  LC_ALL=C $(INTLTOOL_MERGE) $(INTLTOOL_V_MERGE_OPTIONS) -x
> > -u $$_it_tmp_dir $<  $@&&  rmdir $$_it_tmp_dir'
> >
> > Explanation:
> > ===========================================================================
> > The variable $RANDOM is not required for a POSIX-conforming shell, and
> > many implementations of /bin/sh do not support it. It should therefore
> > not be used in shell programs that are meant to be portable across a
> > large number of POSIX-like systems.
> > ===========================================================================
> >
> > git: not found
> >
> > Also, "git: not found" seems to indicate that "git" is used in
> > configure?
> >
> > -Olaf.
> Hi Olaf.
> git is used for the version string in the about dialog box.
> it could easily be left out.
> unfortunately i don't have a clue about the intltool configure magic.
> perhaps petr kovar knows something? you can ask him here or in the irc
> channel #pan on freenode.

intltool really seems like some sort of black magic at times. Pan uses
standard configuration when it comes to i18n (that is, glib-gettext +
intltool for strings extraction), however, the same configuration is used
for many other GNOME apps and tools, so I suppose that the check would fail
for other apps too. Not sure what to do with that, we could probably switch
from glib-gettext directly to gettext to see whether that would help, but
last time I checked this configuration, it added some complexity (and build
failures too :-)

Cheers,
Petr Kovar