pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [HEADSUP] Today's git corrupts 'servers.xml'

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [HEADSUP] Today's git corrupts 'servers.xml'
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 15:36:46 -0700

On 05/27/2012 01:56 PM, walt wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 12:22 PM, fredbezies wrote:
>>

>> 2012/5/27 walt <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
>>
>>     I just pulled this morning (git ed0cd9aa) and I find that
>>     pan omits several important items for each server when it
>>     exits and saves 'servers.xml'.
>>
>> Well, I will see, but as long as you don't use gnome keyring you won't get
>> into troubles.
>

> I just checked out git ec96cd28, which is the commit that created the
> 'use keyring' preferences item recently.
>
> I was very confused when that version also corrupted servers.xml.
> I finally figured out that there was something toxic left in my
> preferences.xml

The preferences file turned out to be a red herring.  The preferences
file I'm using now is pristine except except the single item 'use gnome
keyring' is set to true.  (Because that triggers the bug, which, BTW,
predates today's gkr commit.  It was there yesterday but I never did
anything to trigger it.)

I've been experimenting by editing servers.xml by hand and changing one
thing at a time until servers.xml get corrupted.

My old (good) copy of servers.xml predates gnome-keyring, so it still
has the real server passwords in it.  Running pan works fine, logs in
the old-fashioned way, not using gkr even though my preferences file
says to use it.  Very good.

Now I edit the servers file and change the password to
"HANDLED_BY_GNOME_KEYRING".  Sure enough pan logs in using gkr, no
problems, no corruption.  Very good.

Now I edit the servers file and change the 'use ssl' flag the 'always
trust' flag to 1.

As it happens, my server doesn't offer ssl on port 119, so pan just
sits there, trying to make an ssl connection and keeps failing. No
login, but no corruption of servers.xml either.  Very good.

Now I edit the servers file to use port 563 instead of 119.  This
time pan succeeds in logging in over ssl, and boom! servers.xml is
corrupted instantly. even before shutting pan down.

Can anyone make any sense of what's happening here?