pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New group-colors support, black default doesn't work wit

From: Bob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New group-colors support, black default doesn't work with "reverse" color-schemes
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:04:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:33:03 +0000, Heinrich Müller wrote:

> Am 14.06.2012 23:36, schrieb Duncan:
>> OK, here's the deal.  The group colors code is working now; I can
>> change colors in group prefs and it sticks. Good!  =:^)  (And the ASCII
>> ae is working in the user-agent header "Der Geraet", aka "The Tool",
>> "The Device" now.  Good! =:^)
>>
>> But, the default group-pane color is still hard-coded black text, which
>> is pretty much unreadable on any "reverse" color scheme with (normally)
>> light text colors against dark backgrounds (dark blue, in my case).
>> Which is still OK for groups you use enough to bother changing the
>> default color for, but the other day, for instance, I needed to look up
>> an unsubscribed group name, and found to my great dismay that I
>> couldn't read any of them, because they were all black text on my usual
>> dark blue background!
>>
>> Two possible solutions:
>>
>> 1. Detect the gtk scheme background color and auto-adjust the default
>> text color accordingly.
>>
>> 2. Take the approach Charles did with this sort of thing, and simply
>> add another color pref on the colors tab of pan prefs. =:^)
> I'll do that. Fix will be up later today.
>>
>> We'd add another section, Group Pane, with a single entry,
>> "Default group text:".
>>
>> Except, I don't see anything else using "default" in the description.
>> Petr's the guy to ask.  "Default" is a useful enough word for coders
>> and others into computers, but is it a common enough concept to work
>> for
> non-
>> computer-types?   Better suggestion?
> This is common sense. The default value would override the group value
> if that one isn't set.
>
> Cheers.

Thank you,  I use, the same as Duncan, a dark background (#474747) in
four separate distributions.  This sort of corresponds to the 70% gray used
in Black and White photograpy.  A number of other colors do have to be
changed tho, for readability.

If you remember (and I am sure you do) I use the old color scheme of brite
green on black or dark Gray, in Firefox when reading text and html Sci-fi books
I have
picked up over the years,  Much easier on these 65 yo eyes, than black on white.

bob