pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] yenc preview v. saving attachments

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] yenc preview v. saving attachments
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:07:01 +0000 (UTC)

DLSauers posted on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:22:31 +0000 as excerpted:

>> AFAIK there's a way via ksnapshot to capture the WINDOW, not the
>> displayed screen.   If you manually resize the pan window to an
>> appropriate size so it's showing the full-res image, even without the
>
> The image is way larger than can be displayed in the preview pane at
> full res, thus no way to KSnapshot/gimp capture/xwvd etc...thats the
> whole reason for this journey down this path... to find out what Pan can
> do internally for the preview pane that it doesn't do on saving, and get
> it to save it.

Let me try again to explain, this time in more detail.  amd64 with 8 gigs
ram should handle it (especially with swap, tho pan can take a lot of
memory, gigs, on large groups so you may wish to quit it as soon as
you've taken the snap if you track such groups) unless it's WAY huge or
you're using 10-bit-plus color-channels.

1. Take the pan window and slide it to the edge/corner of the screen, so
only a bit is showing and it's mostly off-screen.

2. Grab the side/corner of the window and drag it larger.

3. If necessary, repeat.  Note that I've done this with other windows for
other reasons, and it's possible using this method and repeating the drag-
window-to-corner, drag-window-edge-to-enlarge, to enlarge windows to 3x
the screen size or more in either/both width/height.

4. Once you get it approximately big enough (or before you start's
probably easier as pan won't have to calculate sizes for all three
panes), you will likely either have to switch from paned to tabbed mode
(if like me you normally use paned mode), or simply turn off all panes
but body, thus leaving more room for the image display within the huge
window.

5. Once the window's big enough to show full-res, even tho it's not all
on-screen, use ksnapshot (or whatever) in window-snap, not screen-snap,
mode.

6. Save the result to png (or other lossless) as soon as possible and
copy something else (say a single word of text) to the clipboard to
release the memory.

7. Open that png and trim off the window edges, etc.  Don't re-save to jpg
or other lossy format (if you were planning to, maybe you want to keep it
lossless) until you're done working with it, and save the finished
product to png before saving to lossy in case the lossy does bad things
to it, so you can go back to the lossless png and try something else.

8.  If you keep it in png, there's png optimizers that allow you to
shrink filesize without losing quality.  That's a good thing to run on
the final png if you intend to keep it png/lossless.

Hope that does it! =:^)