pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan ignores password

From: R Kimber
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan ignores password
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:52:51 +0100

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:58:48 +0000 (UTC)
David Shochat wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:57:21 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
>
> > Although the .pan/servers.xml file contains the correct password, pan
> > refuses to connect saying that further authentication is required.  If I
> > try to enter a password in the server setup dialog it doesn't seem to
> > save it.
> >
> > How can I get online with pan? I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate and Pan
> > 0.136.  It was OK with previous versions of Ubuntu and Mint.
> >
> I'm using pan (currently 0.139) on Ubuntu 12.04 (standard, not Mate) with
> no issues. 2 computers, 1 32-bit and 1 64-bit. Suggest you double check
> that you have write access to ~/.pan2 and everything under it. At one
> recent upgrade cycle, my passwords stopped working and I had to reenter
> them, but after that it was fine.

Thanks.  I see I have both a .pan and a .pan2 that both have the same
permissions (as far as I can tell everything is rw for the users), but I
note that in .pan2 servers.xml has a blank password. If I edit this by hand
pan ignores it and changes it back to a blank password:

From the command line I get:-

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-9kjCq0/pkcs11:
No such file or directory
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files Gkr-Message: secret
service operation failed: Method "CreateCollection" with signature "a{sv}s"
on interface "org.freedesktop.Secret.Service" doesn't exist

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources