pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan ignores password

From: Bob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan ignores password
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:29:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 02:16:29 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:57:21 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
>
>> Although the .pan/servers.xml file contains the correct password, pan
>> refuses to connect saying that further authentication is required.  If
>> I try to enter a password in the server setup dialog it doesn't seem to
>> save it.
>>
>> How can I get online with pan? I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate and Pan
>> 0.136.  It was OK with previous versions of Ubuntu and Mint.
>
> You need to put the settings in and restart pan (at least that was my
> experience).  I'm using 0.135, though....
>
> There was a bug once upon a time where if an NNTP server accepted but
> didn't *require* authentication, authentication would never be used.
> Perhaps that bug crept back in?
>
> Jim

Go to the Launchpad ppa for pan:

https://launchpad.net/~klaus-vormweg/+archive/ppa/+packages

Select the 12.04 install for Pan 0.139.  Download the 64 or 32 bit
Deb package and install.   Does NOT use Gnome Key Ring...

Been using it for weeks w/out problems other than getting used to it.

Go into the .pan2 directory and delete the old score file.  I found some
problems with it on startup where it kept expiring the same scores day
after day.

Bob