pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.133 refuses to work any longer

From: Mike Brown
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.133 refuses to work any longer
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:53:05 -0500

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 02:17:32PM -0500, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 02:07:37PM -0500, Mike Brown wrote:
> > Running pan 0.133 under Fedora 14.
> >
> > It was working fine.  While it was downloading articles, I quit pan.
> > I forget why I had to quite pan.
> >
> > Now it refuses to work at all.  I've deleted all the articles in
> > articles-cache
> > and all of the group files, but pan refuses to attach to the newsserver and
> > download the groups to rebuild the list.  It just hangs at the task, never
> > connecting to the news server.  After a few minutes, it requeues itself,
> > only
> > to never connect.
> >
> > If I try and queue a nzb file, it just zips though all of the articles, not
> > connecting to get any of them.  The log complains that it was unable to read
> > any of the msg files in the article-cache directory.  Ya, nothing got put
> > there.
> >
> > What would cause pan to no longer attach to the server?
> >
> > What operation can I do, besides trying to refresh the groups, to get it to
> > attach to the server?
>
> Added another of the available servers and now pan tries to connect to both.
> Hanging.  :-(

Ran tcpdump and discovered that pan is trying to communicate with the news
server, but no data is being transferred.  As a test, I changed the password
so that it was wrong and the log definitely showed that it was getting an
error back from the news server, i.e., login or password incorrect.  Changed
it back and I am back to where I was, i.e., not communicating successfully
with the news server.

Is there some way to get pan to log what it is going on between it and the
news server?

MB
--
e-mail: address@hidden | address@hidden            /~\ The ASCII