pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.133 refuses to work any longer

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.133 refuses to work any longer
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:24:51 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Brown posted on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 02:23:24 -0500 as excerpted:

> 1TB is about 300 binary files in the 3GB range.  I download some less
> and some more, as far as size.

Yeah, if you're doing multi-gig files daily, block accounts aren't the
best choice.

But for mostly text users they can't be beat, and even for users doing a
mix of say mp3s and maybe a full CD ISO or two a day, or those doing
mostly still-images, blocks are likely to be best or competitive.  It's
just when you get into full SDTV to HD length video that the gigs really
start flowing like Niagara, and time-blocks as opposed to gig-blocks tend
to be the better buy.

Or similar size non-video, but there really /isn't/ much non-video that
takes /that/ level of gigs.  That I know of, anyway.  Yes, there are very
occasional exceptions, but they tend to be pretty special case, and not
necessarily news server material as a result.  How many petabytes of data
a year is the super-collider supposed to produce?  But I don't believe
anyone's considering that practical for newsgroup distribution, tho I
could be wrong...