pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Something Strange

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Something Strange
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:20:40 +0100

On Thu 03 Jan 2013 at 14:39:54 +0000, Bob wrote:
> My main news feed just upgraded their storage to new servers, and all
> updates come through as being read. They now boast of 1500 days retention
> for Binary groups and even longer for text based groups.
>
> None of my settings have been changed, but now I have to go in and mark
> all new group updates as unread. This is for the ex-APN servers from
> Forte Inc., the makers of Agent.

They probably reset the article numbers: the new articles are numbered
lower than the ones you have read already, with the result that Pan (or
any newsreader) thinks you've read them.

If this is the case, an easy solution is to take the newsrc file(s) into
a text editor (while Pan isn't running of course), and remove all
article numbers on lines with groups that you're interested in, so you
get just the name of the group and a colon:

alt.adjective.noun.verb.verb.verb:

You can try it with one group first and see if it helps.

> Bob
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'