pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Git pull build failure on Fedora 15 32-bit

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Git pull build failure on Fedora 15 32-bit
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:40:52 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:48:56 -0800 as excerpted:

> On 01/07/2013 09:16 AM, Lacrocivious Acrophosist wrote:
>> Recent git pulls do not build for me on a Fedora 15 32-bit box.
>> Previous git pull builds have succeeded and I am now using Sexual
>> Chocolate (GIT bf56508).
>>
>> Console output may be seen at: http://pastebin.com/vS9SVUSs
>>
>> Note that for my builds I 'cheat' by changing line 55 of configure.in
>> to:
>> GNUTLS_REQUIRED=2.10.5
>
> I do the same and all works as expected.
>

> If I'm reading your config output correctly you seem to be running
> glib-2.28.8,
> is this correct?
>
> The file pan/general/locking.h:34 says "changed for glib>=3.32" so I'm
> guessing this may be a glib version problem.  I dunno if the latest pan
> code can be made backwards compatible with older libraries, but I'll bet
> Duncan remembers from threads of yore :)

IDR that, but I know for certain that pan is still compatible with later
glib-2 at least, as I don't have glib-3 installed here at all, only
glib-2.34.3.

I'm guessing it uses glib2 when building against gtk2, and glib3 when
building against gtk3, as I don't have gtk3 on my machine either, but I'm
not sure of that.  I do know it'll build against 2.34.3 however, as
that's what's installed here and pan builds and runs against it just
fine, at least when built against gtk3 as well. =:^)

FWIW, the gentoo ebuild says >=glib-2.26:2, so it's hard-coding the glib2
(and gtk2) dependency, from 2.26 onward.  So 2.28 should be fine, unless
the newer dep was only extremely recently introduced (since 0.139 or
November 4, 2012, since that's the date stamp and sync-with-version of
the gentoo pan-9999 aka pan-live-git ebuild that I in turn last synced
against for my variant).