pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?

From: Jürgen Weinelt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:59:17 +0100

Ant wrote:

Are you still using the old version?

No, I'm running 1.39 now. Quite a few nice improvements. But I admit
I'm too lazy to download & compile the bleeding edge developer versions.

> I would like to use the newer version, but it is a hassle to compile,
> find packages, meet dependencies, etc. Ugh. All we need is just to
> redirect the temporary location!

Oh, now I see that I misinterpreted your initial problem description.
You're running out of space on /tmp, while my problem was running
out of space on /home (/home/..../News, to be precise).

Well, you're on Linux, so you could try making "/tmp" a softlink to
/mnt/somebigpartition (but I believe that quite a few programs won't
be too happy about that for security reasons), or you could temporarily
mount /dev/somebigpartition over /tmp
("mount /dev/somebigpartition /tmp" should do the trick). It's generally
considered good practive to put "/tmp" and "/var/log" on a separate
partition, NOT on the root partition. Both "/tmp" and "/var/log" can
overflow really easily, separating them from the root partition is a
good insurance against all kinds of trouble.

Both suggestions are of course just workarounds. IMO pan should check
for free space before starting a download; both on the temporary
location (probably /tmp) and on the final target (usually the drive
with the user's News directory).

--
Jürgen Weinelt