pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?

From: Ant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 06:46:01 -0800

> 1) Keep in mind that depending on the filesystem in use, "full" doesn't
> necessarily mean out of (normal data) space.  It can also mean out of
> inodes as well.  Additionally, it can be due to an inconsistent
> filesystem -- in which case doing an fsck on the affected fs may well fix
> the problem.

I am using the default EXT4 FS that Debian stable installed back in the
end of November 2011.

> 2) User quotas.  I've never used them here so I really don't know how
> they work, but if you're running them and your user quota is full on a
> filesystem...

No quota since it is my personal desktop/workstation machine.

> 3) Based on the above and the fact that the default PAN_HOME is ~/.pan2/
> in your home dir, I'd suggest checking inode status on /home and/or
> fscking it, and/or checking quotes if you're running them.

How do I do that manually? I have seen my Debian machines do forced fsck
at boot up after too many boot ups once in a while. I think that is by
design.

> 4) Note that for many bits of pan, symlinks work just fine.  In
> particular, I've long run my binary instance with article-cache as a
> symlink to a dedicated partition (12 gig, with pan's cache size set
> accordingly, the default is a paltry 10 MB... back in 0.133 cache size
> could only be set by manually editing pan's preferences.xml, but in newer
> versions it's in the GUI), and all instances' scorefiles are actually
> symlinks to a single common scorefile.
>
> Thus, you can try symlinking article-cache and the like to some dir on a
> different filesystem, and it should "just work", if you don't want to try
> to relocate the entire PAN_HOME elsewhere.
>
> 5) Of course another alternative to symlinks is bind-mounts.  You can
> accomplish the same thing as the symlink using a bind-mount to remount
> part of the filesystem appearing elsewhere on top of article-cache, if
> desired.
>
> 6) I'm not sure how pan actually saves files, but it's possible it writes
> a tempfile in the save location, then renames it when the file is
> completely downloaded and decoded.  If this is the case, then the tempfile
> referenced in the error may actually be in your destination dir, not in
> PAN_HOME or a tempdir, which means doing the above inode/fsck/quota/etc
> checks on it (assuming it's not the same filesystem as /home).

This is what I am thinking. Pan saving huge files in /tmp or something
to run out of disk space. I have no problems with split files that
aren't big. All the big downloads, that failed from
alt.binaries.emulators.mame newsgroup a couple nights ago, were over a
GB to 1.55 GB: artwork.7z.ERRORS, cabinets.zip.ERRORS, and
pcb.zip.ERRORS. It would make sense that /tmp was not big enough (874 MB
free right now). I also forgot to mention that these binary posts were
yyencoded files. Does Pan use /tmp to decode? Maybe that's the problem
and I need to tell it not to use /tmp.
--
Quote of the Week: "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
  /\___/\          Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: address@hidden/address@hidden
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.