pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan and yenc encoding of binary files

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan and yenc encoding of binary files
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:22:57 +0000 (UTC)

Cipher Cipher posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:56:38 -0500 as excerpted:

> I made two changes to this upload that he can read, despite the error
> message:  One was to change permissions on the file to make it
> executable.
> I read a post somewhere where that solved a similar problem for
> someone.

That's just... strange.  Certainly a bug in agent if that's a problem.

> I also added "Yenc" to the subject line as he recommended...

That one is AFAIK valid.  The original yenc spec called for yenc in the
subject line (tho I've forgotten the precise details on placement,
capitalization, etc), and in fact, that has been one of the criticisms of
the spec, as it seems rather "amateurish" and more a hack than
appropriate for a general RFC-level attachment specification, to many.

Despite not really being appropriate as an official standard, however,
yenc happened to come along at the right time, and because it reduced
encoding overhead dramatically, allowing major posters to post more
material in less time (downloaders liked it too, as long as they could
decode it, but it's the uploaders that drive adoption of such things),
yenc's usage spread rapidly, and it quickly became the default if
unofficial standard, replacing the less efficient MIME/base64 and UUE
encoding formats.

There was talk of formalizing it into an RFC standard as an extension to
MIME, killing the subject line requirement as part of the process, and I
think it might have actually happened, except that adoption was so fast
by the time the standards groups started working on it, more than half
the net was using it and changing things would have been more trouble
than it was worth.  The posters really DID drive things.  But there's
probably some semi-adopted MIME-yenc-extension standard somewhere...

Anyway, I'm not sure yenc in the subject remains a requirement in
practice these days, but AFAIK, it's still strictly part of the spec, and
anything omitting it will thus not be strictly compliant.