pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem with excessive width of body window in 0.139

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem with excessive width of body window in 0.139
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 19:43:04 -0700

On 05/04/2013 07:46 AM, Per Hedeland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been happily running 0.135 for quite a while, but since I recently
> upgraded HW/OS (FreeBSD),

Hi Per.  I recognize your name from my FreeBSD days of yore :)

> I needed to build a new Pan too - and just
> used the FreeBSD "port", which is at 0.139. And now I'm having a really
> weird problem, that I haven't seen mentioned here - the body pane
> "insists" that it needs to be 1500+ pixels wide...

I certainly have seen the stupidly-wide body pane many times before, and
for a very long time. (Way before Heinrich kindly volunteered to be the
pan maintainer, BTW.)

AFAICT the wide-body problem occurs only when I'm viewing a binary article
with a jpeg attachment, *and* the jpeg has an unusually tall format, i.e.
the vertical size is at least two, maybe three times or more, the width of
the image.

You may well ask why a very *tall* image should change the *width* of a
pan window.  I hope you are asking yourself that question because I'd
like to know the answer :)