pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue [solved - maybe]

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue [solved - maybe]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:37:07 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 01:02:34 +0100 as excerpted:

> Your testing in the other thread indicates a change between gmime 2.6.15
> and 2.6.16 which seem to narrow it down and confirm that is where the
> problem is. (or maybe the way Pan uses/access gmime APIs??)
>
> I'm sure other newsreaders must use gmime so I'd have thought if it was
> a purely a gmime bug then other people would have encountered it before
> now. Having said that, a quick grep through
> https://www.freebsd.org/ports/news.html indicates Pan is the only one
> there using gmime.

I don't know about other news-clients, but while I was investigating the
problem, I saw a reply posted to this group (group for me, since I get it
thru gmane, tho natively it's a list, thus...) from I think it was kmail,
that had exactly the same symptoms.

I switched from kmail to claws-mail due to bugs when kmail akonadified,
so I don't have immediate kmail dependency info as easily available to
check as I would have some years ago, but given the exact same symptoms
and the fact that the mail came from someone complaining about the
problem on pan at the time, I'm as sure as I can be without actually
checking dependencies that kmail is using gmime and is affected as well.

I'd have guessed claws-mail was using gmime as well, but a depgraph here
didn't turn it up, down to four levels below claws-mail itself.   (Based
on past experience with these queries, go too deep and pretty much every
library and system app in the system is brought in with some gentoo-
optional USE flag or another, and 2-3 levels deep tends to be a practical
limit on significance, and I went a level beyond that, so...)

Meanwhile, querying the other direction, what depends on gmime, returns
only pan, here, so at least on my gentoo system, with my policy of
turning all USE flags off by default even if they're on in the profile,
and limiting packages to only what I need (gentoo definitely rewards the
good security practice of only installing what you're actually going to
use, because every installed package will have updates, and on gentoo
that means building them, so there's a higher cost to keeping unnecessary
packages installed on gentoo than on binary distros), dependencies on
gmime really /are/ less than I'd have expected, only pan.  As I said, I'd
have expected at /least/ claws-mail to use it, but apparently not...
<shrug>

Which makes me feel a bit better about masking the newer gmime versions
and copying the old gmime 2.6.15 ebuild to a local overlay since it's no
longer in the tree (tho 2.6.13 is, but I didn't want to go back farther
than necessary), since only pan's using it, and I know I really do need
it for pan due to this bug.

... Which I /still/ haven't actually filed.  I've been working more hours
lately, which my wallet definitely appreciates, but those hours do have
to come from somewhere, and my todo list is unfortunately one "where"
that got cut, so...

But I'm supposed to have tomorrow (hmm... "today" by the time I post
this) off, so your post bringing this up again might have come at the
right moment. =:^)