pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] No URL quoted in follow-ups.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] No URL quoted in follow-ups.
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 22:39:19 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Dysthe posted on Fri, 09 May 2014 09:51:18 -0500 as excerpted:

> When I create a follow-up URLs in the original post are often not
> quoted. They are simply left out. I am seeing this in both .139 and .140
> from git (gtk3). I'm pretty sure this hasn't been the case for very long
> or I would have noticed. Any idea what may be causing it?

How long have you been building against gtk3?

I've not ever seen this on (older and git) pan here.  The only URL-
related quoting issues I've seen have been the usual wrapped-long-URL
problems.

But I build against gtk2, and don't even have gtk3 installed.

And gtk2 builds have always been recommended in any case, with people
running pan built against gtk3 invariably reporting strange bugs such as
this that people running pan built against gtk2 simply don't see, so I'd
recommend trying to duplicate when built against gtk2.

Ultimately someone who knows both gtk2 and gtk3 is going to have to build
against gtk3 and work out the bugs, as distros are beginning to talk
about deprecating gtk2 now, and the topic has come up here before as
well.  However as I've pointed out each time, deprecated or not, in
practice gtk2 isn't in much danger as long as firefox remains built
against it.  But the time /is/ coming, even if in practice it's still a
way off.  The moment distros start shipping firefox built against gtk3,
the gtk3 bugs acquire a far higher urgency, and that day is certainly
looming on the horizon even if (to my knowledge) it's not here yet.