pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How best to view HTML in body Pane.

From: AnthonyL
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How best to view HTML in body Pane.
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 01:43:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 04:31:09 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> AnthonyL posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:01:27 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> How best to view HTML content in the message Body Pane?
>>
>> Lynx would be fine, or must I start up a full fledged browser to view
>> those messages? I'm not seeking a beutiful HTML rendering, just
>> something that would remove the HTML coding and leave me with readable
>> text.
>
> In general, you don't.  Pan is old-school, adhering to the GNKSA, good
> netkeeping seal of approval, which strongly encourages plain text.  If
> people want to read a web page, they use their browser and go to the
> web.  If they want to read news, that's what news is for, but it's
> attachments, and plain text, not a web page.  In this view, anyone
> posting in HTML is a netiquette abuser and should end up in the
> killfile,
> at least if they continue said abuse after being asked nicely to post in
> plain text, putting the HTML in a web page attachment, if they MUST have
> it.

I agree with you that this is the way it should be.

> Tho there has been a bit of discussion about the possibility of doing
> something like the claws-mail HTML-strip mode, which simply strips all
> the html tags entirely (with the exception, I think, of anchor tags,
> which it converts to standard non-HTML URLs).

This is the feature I was looking for, specifically for reading the gwene
newsgroups which are all HTML formatted RSS feeds posted on USENET. That
way I could follow a few of my favorite feeds in PAN. However, the HTML
content is unreadable as it is now. I'll give claws-mail HTML-strip mode
a look, although I'll be sticking with PAN as my preferred newsreader.

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 04:31:09 +0000, Duncan also wrote:
> In pan prefs, applications tab, there's a place to fill in a command for
> an HTML previewer.  I've no idea how it works (I've kept it blank here,
> HTML belongs on the web and there are serious privacy and security
> implications of trying to deal with it in random messages people post),
> but it's there.  Presumably it opens the HTML in whatever application
> you list there, tho again, I've no idea if it does that automatically,
> or if you have to trigger it in some way.  You might try experimenting
> with that.

I Think I'll give that a miss, or at least experiment with it and then
never use it.

Thanks for your informative reply.