pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How best to view HTML in body Pane.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How best to view HTML in body Pane.
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 04:31:09 +0000 (UTC)

AnthonyL posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:01:27 +0000 as excerpted:

> How best to view HTML content in the message Body Pane?
>
> Lynx would be fine, or must I start up a full fledged browser to view
> those messages? I'm not seeking a beutiful HTML rendering, just
> something that would remove the HTML coding and leave me with readable
> text.

In general, you don't.  Pan is old-school, adhering to the GNKSA, good
netkeeping seal of approval, which strongly encourages plain text.  If
people want to read a web page, they use their browser and go to the
web.  If they want to read news, that's what news is for, but it's
attachments, and plain text, not a web page.  In this view, anyone
posting in HTML is a netiquette abuser and should end up in the killfile,
at least if they continue said abuse after being asked nicely to post in
plain text, putting the HTML in a web page attachment, if they MUST have
it.

Tho there has been a bit of discussion about the possibility of doing
something like the claws-mail HTML-strip mode, which simply strips all
the html tags entirely (with the exception, I think, of anchor tags,
which it converts to standard non-HTML URLs).

That said...

In pan prefs, applications tab, there's a place to fill in a command for
an HTML previewer.  I've no idea how it works (I've kept it blank here,
HTML belongs on the web and there are serious privacy and security
implications of trying to deal with it in random messages people post),
but it's there.  Presumably it opens the HTML in whatever application you
list there, tho again, I've no idea if it does that automatically, or if
you have to trigger it in some way.  You might try experimenting with
that.