pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Bug 756458 pan 0.139 crashes on start

From: Zan Lynx
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Bug 756458 pan 0.139 crashes on start
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:21:36 -0700

On 01/06/2016 12:19 PM, Rhialto wrote:
> So keeping every step of the way in the StringView realm is definitely
> better. Whether the actual string storage is safe in the long term, I
> didn't look at, but presumably it is or more things would go wrong
> (probably).

Whereas I believe the opposite: every StringView used in the preference
code should be replaced with a simple std::string. The performance
gained by objects like StringView only apply when taking substrings of
large objects or in areas where repeated memory allocation /
deallocation show up in profiler results.

With small strings which often fit into the short string area creating a
new std::string and copying the string content is a very cheap
operation. When it comes to memory copies anything that fits into one or
even two cache lines can be completed in about 8 CPU cycles using a
series of 64-bit/8-byte MOVs. It is the very definition of trivial.