pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Bug 756458 pan 0.139 crashes on start

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Bug 756458 pan 0.139 crashes on start
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 06:21:33 +0000 (UTC)

Alan Taylor posted on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 17:53:30 -0400 as excerpted:

> Slightly off-topic, I would like to submit a report of a different
> annoying bug.  (Or search to see if it's already reported.)  Where might
> instructions be found in how to use Bugzilla for pan bugs.

The easiest way to report a pan bug, assuming the bug isn't so bad pan
won't start, is from within pan itself, help, give feedback or report a
bug.  That will open your browser to this URL:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Pan

If you don't have a gnome bugzilla account, you'll need to create one.
For this you'll need a working email address, as that's where the initial
login information will be sent, along with bug updates, with preferences
you can set as to which updates you want mail for (among other things),
once you have a gnome bugzy account.

If you have such an account and have cookies set in your browser for it,
you should go right to a bug filing page.  Alternatively, if the cookies
are expired or its your first login (or if you don't allow cookies),
you'll get a login page first.

For bug searches, the simplest search is if you already have a bug
number.  You can simply put that in the small box at the bottom of the
page and hit search, and that bug should appear.  Of course you will need
to have a bug number, say as mentioned in a post here, for that to work.

Otherwise, you can hit the search link, set the product to Pan (it's
listed alphabetically under the "Other" category, at roughly 60% down the
scroll bar, put in some keywords, select your status, and hit search.

As an alternative, you can use this search URL, bookmarking it or
whatever.  Here, I have a hotkey based menu of sorts that I've setup, and
I can hit launch (the primary menu hotkey), w (for web), P (for pan), to
launch it.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=Pan

That opens a more advanced search page with pan pre-set in a couple of
fields, that will let you add a bunch of additional search qualifiers if
you like.  Note that there's several "show" buttons on this page.
Normally you'd want the middle one (with the help link beside it).  Also
note that the simple prefilled product:"Pan" isn't going to be
particularly helpful on its own -- there's too many other products with
"pan" as a substring (pango, gnome-panel...).

One "bugzilla pro tip" recommendation with search is to set the status to
"all" instead of just "open".  This isn't too important in a slower
moving project such as pan, but it can be vital in a large and fast
moving project such as the Linux kernel or a distro, like my distro
gentoo, where someone else has very likely already reported the problem,
and the maintainer may have already fixed it, sometimes within hours, so
the bug may well already be closed by the time you get around to
reporting it.  That way, if the bug has been closed, you still see it.

However, with the length of bug history that pan has, the list can be
long.  What I generally do, particularly if it's a relatively new bug, is
do the search, then if necessary click the bug number column to sort by
it, in largest to smallest order, so the newer bugs appear at the top.

Of course including the version in your search terms can be helpful as
well, particularly for a project like gentoo, where users are quickly
trained to include the package and package version in their bug summary,
aka title.  Again, not so important for pan, particularly if you're using
the sort by bug number trick above, because some bug filers won't be well
trained enough to get the version correct, but it can still help to weed
out extremely old (from the old 0.15 and earlier version, for instance)
bugs.

> (This post should be plain text - I have turned off formatting for it in
> Gmail.  Lets see if that worked.)

Unfortunately...  But it was short and both plain text and "cooked html"
were sent, so it wasn't too bad.