pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New Windows installer

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New Windows installer
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 17:17:12 +0000 (UTC)

Alan Taylor posted on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:33:21 -0300 as excerpted:

> I forgot something about the newest Windows installer.  I am running two
> screens.  When I open the Edit - Edit Preferences window, that window is
> almost two screens wide and cannot be resized in the horizontal with the
> mouse.  I can resize it vertically with the mouse.

Pan's prefs dialog had a bug similar to that, only with height not width,
some time ago on Linux.  I set a kde/kwin window rule for it to force the
size to something appropriate, and forgot about it, but someone mentioned
it on the list a year or so ago (actually maybe two years ago now, time
flies when you're having fun!), and I was dismayed to find that when I
disabled my window rule forcing a particular size, the prefs dialog was
/still/ several screens high!  Let me disable the rule and see what I get
now...

Sure enough, bug's still there. =:^(

In that case the bug was introduced when the shortcuts/hotkeys tab was
added to prefs, as there's a lot of them and apparently the code adjusted
to the full desktop size (I have three monitors, but in stacked config,
not side-by-side), not the single monitor size, so the window resized to
near full desktop height by default.

Presumably this bug is something similar, or possibly the same one but
triggering on width for you because you're configured multi-monitor wide,
while I'm configured multi-monitor tall.

So my workaround suggestion would be to set similar window rules
overriding the size.  Can MS Windows can do that?  Back around the turn
of the century when I got off of MS due to them deciding to include
malware in eXPrivacy, it was possible, but only using third party window
management utilities.  (FWIW, I had actually coded up my own, using
Visual Basic, but there were various alternatives available for the
download on the various power-user sites.)  I've no idea what has
happened on MS in that area since, but I read they allow virtual desktops
as-shipped now, so perhaps they allow users to override window size and
placement with shipped tools now, as well.