pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New Windows installer

From: Alan Taylor
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New Windows installer
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:05:03 -0300

On 20 March 2016 at 14:17, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Alan Taylor posted on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:33:21 -0300 as excerpted:
>
>> I forgot something about the newest Windows installer.  I am running two
>> screens.  When I open the Edit - Edit Preferences window, that window is
>> almost two screens wide and cannot be resized in the horizontal with the
>> mouse.  I can resize it vertically with the mouse.
>
> Pan's prefs dialog had a bug similar to that, only with height not width,
> some time ago on Linux.  I set a kde/kwin window rule for it to force the
> size to something appropriate, and forgot about it, but someone mentioned
> it on the list a year or so ago (actually maybe two years ago now, time
> flies when you're having fun!), and I was dismayed to find that when I
> disabled my window rule forcing a particular size, the prefs dialog was
> /still/ several screens high!  Let me disable the rule and see what I get
> now...
>
> Sure enough, bug's still there. =:^(
>
> In that case the bug was introduced when the shortcuts/hotkeys tab was
> added to prefs, as there's a lot of them and apparently the code adjusted
> to the full desktop size (I have three monitors, but in stacked config,
> not side-by-side), not the single monitor size, so the window resized to
> near full desktop height by default.
>
> Presumably this bug is something similar, or possibly the same one but
> triggering on width for you because you're configured multi-monitor wide,
> while I'm configured multi-monitor tall.
>
> So my workaround suggestion would be to set similar window rules
> overriding the size.  Can MS Windows can do that?  Back around the turn
> of the century when I got off of MS due to them deciding to include
> malware in eXPrivacy, it was possible, but only using third party window
> management utilities.  (FWIW, I had actually coded up my own, using
> Visual Basic, but there were various alternatives available for the
> download on the various power-user sites.)  I've no idea what has
> happened on MS in that area since, but I read they allow virtual desktops
> as-shipped now, so perhaps they allow users to override window size and
> placement with shipped tools now, as well.

I would expect Windows can somehow control the size of a particular
window, but I have no idea how it is done outside of the program that
created the window.  It's strange that the problem dimension won't
respond to manual adjustment.  This is Windows 10, which may have some
left-over window pane tweak from Windows 8 (TIFKAM) which did funny
things with windows panes for hard-core users.  Users like me were
fine with Win 8, 8.1 and I am (mostly) fine with Win 10.

The problem is not a big one as long as I'm running two screens
horizontally, and I expect that, as you say with your own version of
the problem, a different screen arrangement will adjust -- so if I
revert to a single screen, I will only get a single-screen-wide prefs
window pane.