pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to use Numeric Pad 'Delete' key

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to use Numeric Pad 'Delete' key
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 23:34:21 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice posted on Thu, 19 May 2016 16:32:22 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 19 May 2016 07:41:48 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> xmodmap -e "keycode 91 = Delete"
>
> That works fine! Many thanks...
>
> (No problem losing the Keypad "."; never used it.)

Glad it worked.

I had never used xmodmap myself, tho I'd read about it of course.  So the
short testing I did while writing that post was the first I had used it
at all, which means writing it increased my own actual experience base
too. =:^)

Just to repeat one caveat, however, to be sure it's not missed.  In my
googling to write the post, the biggest problem people had with xmodmap
was that the change didn't stick over suspend/resume.  So be aware of
that and ready to run the command again if you use suspend or hibernate.

And of course, as a lot of X based solutions, the rules are likely to
work much differently if/when people switch from X to wayland.  But
that's going to change so many things[1] it's not worth worrying about
just one, for now.

---
[1] Wayland changes:  AFAIK, while gtk3 is either already wayland ported
or well on its way, gtk2 will probably be left behind on X.  While pan
can be built against gtk3, a gtk2 build has always been recommended,
because there are bugs in the gtk3 behavior that have simply never been
traced down because so few people run it.  So either that will have to
change with the switch to wayland and those bugs will need to be found
and addressed, or a gtk2-based pan will continue to run in a rootless X
window inside of wayland.  The latter should continue to work reasonably
well as there are clearly many X-based apps that won't be ported that
will need to be supported for some time yet, but solutions like this,
getting xmodmap to apply to the correct rootless X window, will likely
get more complex and potentially problematic, in the process.