pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Slowness with long discussion threads...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Slowness with long discussion threads...
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 19:20:35 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:55:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> Also, a couple of years ago I had issues with Pan threading, ie not
> threading properly or at all if the thread depth was more than 2 or 3.
> We eventually narrowed it down to FreeBSD still using an older version
> of gmime.  This may be a complete red herring, my problem was quite
> different but it was a threading issue caused by gmime and using an
> older version fixed it until the latest version was made available in
> the FreeBSD ports system.

I can confirm threading issues with older gmime, tho the ones I saw and
which Dave may be referencing were bad posting behavior, improper
"folding" (RFC term, aka wrapping aka splitting) of the references
header, breaking it so an affected post would generally appear in the
right thread (the first few reference IDs were intact) but in the wrong
place (later IDs were missing or parsed incorrectly due to bad folding/
wrapping/splitting of the header).  It was bad posting, breaking the RFCs
so many standards compliant clients would get the threading wrong.

For reference, I'm currently running gmime-2.6.20 here, without issues
that I'm aware of (tho actual installed version is gmime-2.6.20-r3, the
-r3 indicating three distro-specific version bumps, possibly including
patches for other bugs but just as likely simply due to distro-specific
issues such as changes in dependencies).

IIRC the breakage was earlier in the 2.6 series, with I believe 2.6.17
and 2.6.18 broken (regression from 2.6.16 which was IIRC fine) and I
/think/ the fix in 2.6.19.

The gmime-2.4 series was unaffected by that particular bug, but of course
they may have had others.