pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 very slow with long threads... appeared with t

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 very slow with long threads... appeared with the new version
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 19:00:38 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Mon, 03 Oct 2016 20:21:09 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:38:21 +0000, hiker wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 21:14:46 +0000 Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Nor here, running 0.141 (which actually surprised me).  In fact, I was
>>> a participant in a thread that has about 700 messages, and saw no
>>> problems at all with performance.
>>
>> What is version 0.141? On git I only see version 0.140?
>
> It's what I pulled and built myself - I've got commit 46c521 checked out
> at the moment.

I'm about a month outdated ATM (see the moving... thread), but I can
confirm, 0.141 is pan git.  The policy appears to be bump the version
number in git right after a release and include git commit hash as well.
That way the version number shows the relative age, including unreleased
head if applicable, and the commit hash can be used to narrow down even
further if there's a recent regression or fix to be traced.

I think a useful addition to that would be version bump both for a
release and immediately after, which if started now, with a bump
immediately before the next release and another immediately after, would
mean odd version numbers are git builds and evens are release builds,
much like the old Linux kernel versioning policy, but that hasn't been
the way it has been done to date, just the post-release bump in git (and
before that svn, and before that...).