pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 very slow with long threads... appeared with t

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 very slow with long threads... appeared with the new version
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 11:04:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 10:12:27 +0200, i443chu8-GANU6spQydw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Pan 0.139 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTE.
> Since I upgraded to version 0.139, I observed very long response times
> when a thread contains many posts. Pan uses 100% cpu for tens of seconds
> before the selected posts appears. In previous versions, there was
> almost no delay.
>
> I trimmed my Score file, with no result.
> Am I the only one with this problem?

No issues here with Pan 0.140

0.139 has been superseded for quite some time by 0.140 so it's entirely
possible that that some interaction between Pan and one or other support
library or programme which has since been updated is causing some issue
such as a race condition or just not sending back data in the way Pan
expects it.  Have you updated everything else installed too?

I've not used Ubuntu for a few years now, but isn't there a contact email
address for the person maintaining the Ubuntu build of pan for the
repositories?  Go through the package manager as if to install pan and
check the info/tabs since that person is most likely to be able to help
in this case.

In the mean time, are you certain it's the Pan task taking 100% of CPU
time?  You could try htop in treeview mode or pstree to see if Pan is
calling other tasks

Other dependencies to check on are (list from my FreeBSD install):

   /usr/ports/accessibility/atk
   /usr/ports/converters/libiconv
   /usr/ports/devel/gettext-runtime
   /usr/ports/devel/glib20
   /usr/ports/devel/pcre
   /usr/ports/mail/gmime26
   /usr/ports/security/gnutls
   /usr/ports/textproc/gtkspell
   /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
   /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/pango

A few of those are text/language/locale related and will be called when
displaying subject lines in the headers pane or messages in the body pane.
Note that gnutls has been patched a few times in recent months and your
build may have slightly different dependancies depending in what make
options the builder chose.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.